Monday, November 26, 2012

Cultivating ordinary courage


I've been wanting a new tattoo since I had my last one a long long time ago. I was thinking of birds lately. Most of the time, I'm sitting on my computer desk listening to songs next to my window at home. Beautiful birds sometimes sit by the edge and chirps in the morning, sometimes in the late afternoons. But I'm not too sure of birds tattoos are too cliche? Birds symbolizes a lot of different meanings, depending on what type of birds you are getting. The common ones are little silhouettes of tiny birds flying away or swallow on hips or anything THAT cliche, like hummingbird, a Robin, and also a chickadee.



Hummingbirds symbolizes timeless joy and accomplishing that which seems impossible, moving forward and never dwell on the past.


Robin represents the coming of spring and the return of warmth after hardship. HOPE.


Chickadees symbolize cheerfulness, being optimistic through most difficult times.

Birds in general just symbolizes freedom and finding your own path basically. And of course breaking free from anything (i.e pain, sorrows, anything)

I DON’T KNOW.
I have been contemplating getting what kind of birds tattoos. or maybe I should just get a flock of swallows?
Traditionally, a person would get a swallow tattoo after making a long significant journey but swallows are monogamous, which is rare among bird species. They will choose one mate and nest with no others. Thus they often symp=bolizes loyalty and fidelity. This is also one of the reason why I am choosing to start my "flock" of swallows - starting with 3, one for me, my boyfriend and my dog. As the relationship expands, so will be the tattoo.

It is very meaningful as it also symbolizes hope and freedom. I've done some reasearch that in the Egyption mythology, swallows are symbolic of fertility and a renewal of life. I wanna keep the tattoo small and wanted it on my wrist, but i already have one there. so I'm up the next challenge, that is my ribcage.

Here are some of my inspiration :








I'm in love with all these pictures. I don't know why people get themselves inked but when I do, it symbolizes something very meaningful and important. Something permanent to remind me of every second. I dream  of a simple life for a long time , and to start a new one this year, right after my birthday. Just like a rebirth. 


Yeap. This is me.I was bored and was trying out some drawings. So I drew birds on my arm. Not bad I think. I could feel it, the freedom and the joy, an indescribable feeling. I am gonna get it done on my ribcage as planned. 

3 comments:

  1. I love it. I think that you should get it inked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dandelions flying off as swallows. I think it is really symbolic of freedom. Do post if you get one done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! i'm still in the midst of designing ! thank you for all the support! i will definitely write a blog post about it!

    ReplyDelete